Google
Web www.shinykaylee.blogspot.com
www.howstuffworks.com www.hondabikes.net

Making Kaylee Shiny

This is the online record of the rebuild, and restoration of my 1976 Honda CB550 F named Kaylee. She is my first motorcycle, and I decided to keep this blog, with the help of an iChat webcam. I will be adding pictures and video as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fuel system fun

Ok, with most of the electrical system working (other than the head and tail lights which I will figure out soon) I think its time to see to the fuel system. First thing is first, I'm going to remove the fuel tank, and use some light acid to burn out the touches of rust that are inside the tank. Then I will replace the fuel filter, and then the big job, cleaning out the carburetors, I have been putting it off, but with the gas tank coming off, there will really be no excuse to not remove and clean them.

I will also use this time since most of the big parts of the bike will be removed, to check over the rest of the wires that run under the gas tank, as well as checking the compression of the cylinders and all of the valves and gaskets. I will also be installing new spark plugs that I bought (and checking for spark from each of them), and checking for oil leaks, and doing an oil change as well as basic, but through, cleaning of everything inside and out.

Lastly, with the gas tank off and drained of gas, I may try to remove the 2 small dents that are in it, I will see what an auto body place wants to charge me, if its under 100 bucks, ill spring for it, otherwise I have a few techniques I want to try for myself, and as a last resort I could always use autobody filler and just sand it down to perfection. I will also look into a new paint job, that will probably be expensive though, so maybe I wont do that yet, I'm not sure.

That is a lot to do in the next few days, but I think I could get most of it done properly if I plan it well. Ill keep you posted.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you liked her colors.

1:57 PM  
Blogger ayrity said...

oh I do, but the dent also chipped the paint off, and there is a bunch of rust forming, im pretty sure its un-touchup able, so that means to get a nice looking smooth paint job, I will need to get it all re-done. not necessarily a bad thing, but probably expensive... sucks because im pretty sure this is one of the things i cant do myself, not unless i buy new painting spray guns and equipment im never going to use again...

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah, sucks. Maybe you could find someone who has one you can borrow, I'm pretty sure with all the people you know who are into this sorta thing, someone might have something you could use. When you do repaint it, could you put some form of ridiculous decal or something on it? That would make my life.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you...I just wanted to say that I'm so happy for you!!! Miss you!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter download
html hit counters